Sunday, March 12, 2006

Photo Tuesday (Vol. IVXQ) [Purim edition]


Since I like blogging about pictures around the holiday time, I thought to focus on Purim as well.

First of all, Purim is almost officially here... I spotted my first Hamantasch today! I was in the store picking up some stuff for Shabbat and I saw them sitting next to the cash register. For those who are already Hamatasch aficionados, here's a picture Zahava drew.



In our home in Efrat, Zahava and I make sure that all the neighborhood kids get into the Purim spirit, and we make them try on a noose to see what it must have felt like for Haman and his children.


As to the holiday of Purim... we have been enjoying ourselves with some food, drink and activities with the kids. But the proximity and magnitude of the terrorist attack at the Gush Etzion junction 2 weeks ago has had an impact on even the most enjoyable endeavors.

When I joined Efrat's Kitat Konenut (emergency response squad) I made a decision to leave my M16 home for short errands around town. But the town Kabat (security officer) has asked all of us to keep our weapons with us at all times while we are in the Gush Etzion area. Now we all have this constant reminder with us of how the situation has changed (or perhaps we were fooling ourselves and it never changed at all) as all of us do our grocery shopping, attend synagogue to hear the megilla and even go out to deliver mishloach manot with this added burden.

As they sing on Sesame Street (tm); "One of these things is not like the others... can you guess which one just doesn't belong?"






15 Comments:

Blogger Joe Settler said...

The bottle that isn't yet empty?

1:02 PM  
Blogger treppenwitz said...

Clap. Clap. Clap. Nicely done! The only two things I noticed wrong with this was the lack of ellipses (...) and the use of scotch in place of bourbon. Very strong work otherwise! :-)

12:46 AM  
Blogger Mike Miller said...

brilliant!

4:20 AM  
Blogger Trippin' Witz said...

Hey Treppenwitz -

How'd you find this site? You commented before this site was even publicized!

I'll have to put even MORE stuff up now...I'm going to get my camera...and then you'll see what quality blogs are all about.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

See, and the first thing I looked for was the obligatory "[~shudder~]."

5:59 AM  
Blogger PsychoToddler said...

I have nothing intelligent to say here.

6:18 AM  
Blogger RR said...

LOL! Terrific!

6:29 AM  
Blogger treppenwitz said...

A little bird told me where to find it. I was starting to worry that nobody wanted to parady me... which would have been a sure sign that the shark had been jumped. :-)

7:52 AM  
Blogger Sweettooth120 said...

THis is funny, especially having the kids try out the noose.

11:01 AM  
Blogger DLC said...

Who's calling me a little bird!!??!!

12:53 AM  
Blogger treppenwitz said...

Now, now dlc.. I meant it in the best possible way.

10:28 AM  
Blogger westbankmama said...

I like "Zahava's graphic" the best...

11:28 PM  
Blogger bec said...

to answer the question, it's obviously the tallis. it's impossible to put the tallis on while drinking and shooting. nobody has that many hands.
hahahahahaa.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Jack's Shack said...

I keep a secret pocket in my tallis for my gun.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Faye Berman said...

wow that was funny! And a reference to jump the shark, wow!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home